Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Summer 2014 Reading List

I've struggled with vulvodynia for over 3 years, and about 2 years ago, I bought this massive stack of 'doctor recommended' books to read.

Have I read any? maybe.

So, here's my list of books I need to read, and understand, and maybe try. Here's to the road of recovery!


  1. When the Body Says No by Gabor Mate - linking emotions and disease, 'the physiological connections between stress and health' - my therapist has this book on her shelf, so should ve good, right?
  2. Heal Pelvic Pain by Amy Stein - focusing on lifestyle changes to help ease pain - I'm skeptical of this book. 
  3. The V Book: A Doctors Guid to Complete Vulvovaginal Health by Elizabeth Stewart - let's talk a great foundational book. 
  4. The Vulvodynia Survival Guide: How to Overcome Vaginal Symptoms & Enjoy an Active LifeStyle by Howard Glazer and Gae Rodke - maybe?
  5. When Sex Hurts: A woman's guide to banishing sexual pain by Andre Goldstein, Caroline Pukall and Irwin Goldstein - 'provides the tools to stop hurting and start healing' - from reading other blogs Dr. Goldstein is an 'expert' in this field, hopefully he has something to bring to the table to talk to my doctors about. 
  6. A Womans Guide to Overcoming Sexual Fear & Pain by Aurelie Jones Goodwin and Marc E Agronin - this is a workbook, that I started many years ago and should really look at again
  7. Getting the Sex You Want: shed your inhibitions and reach new heights of passion together by Tammy Nelson - about improving sexual communication with your partner - my partner will be away all summer... this may be challenging. 
  8. Guide to Getting it On by Paul Joannides
  9. The Sexually Confident Wife by Shannon Ethridge - I think this is in the list because I think it would be some great information for when sex doesn't hurt, or how to be comfortable with sex. 
  10. The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman - Amazon suggested this to me after I ordered all of the above. Not being able to have sex is hard on any relationship, so make it work. 
Do you have any suggestions? Anything I'm missing? What worked or didn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment